Many possibly wonder about the importance of studying public policy and why it is offered as a major course. If you are observant of what’s happening around you or if you care how the world is run, then you already have a reason for studying public policy.
Transportation, education, economy, health care, jobs, housing – almost all aspects of our everyday life are linked by public policy decisions made by our government officials and other agencies responsible for certain development. Arriving at a solution to public problems is a tedious process, especially in the area concerning the people who will be making these policies and the things to consider in formulating a solution, since public issues are now becoming more complex and global. This is why rigorous analysis is being demanded in the formulation of public policy to arrive at effective solutions.
To address these issues on public policy, here are some reasons why you should consider studying this major:
- To be an empowered citizen, one must actively be involved in public affairs. It is our responsibility and opportunity to voice out our concerns because it is us who can be affected with everything that’s happening in the long run.
- As taxpayers, we have a say in every part of government spending. They may be the one making decisions and public policies, but we can do our share by knowing and studying our responsibilities as citizens and as taxpayers who are always in need of effective public services.
- Knowing more about policy analysis helps us to create solutions to more common problems that we, citizens, are experiencing. Especially if it’s being brought to the government’s attention, it would really be beneficial if we know how public policy works so we can easily deal with certain issues, especially if it involves us or any of our advocacies.
- Public policy analysis can become a professional job for students who are taught in the fields of political science, law, economics, business, environmental studies, and other disciplines related to the government, politics, and the world around us. Since these fields are linked to the government, it has a direct stake in the quality and nature of public policy. Public policy analysts do really have a vast knowledge on the means on how policy is made, the forces that affect it, and the ways on how policy can get better and become more effective to the public concerning the issue.
- Public policy also focuses on teaching how to build characters well and how to become effective citizens.